Ukraine Update from District and County Councillors
Published: 10 March 2022
Ukraine Update from the District and County Councils
• Both West Sussex County Council (WSCC) and Chichester District Council (CDC) are now flying Ukrainian flags.
• At WSCC there was cross party agreement to write to the Ukranian ambassador offering their support and to the Prime Minister calling on him to align our policy on sanctuary for Ukranian refugees with Europe, WSCC have asked CDC to do the same.
Advice on how to help the people of Ukraine
• Local charity – Children on the Edge are appealing for cash donations – they have 2 decades of working in Eastern Europe – Donations will mean charities in Moldova and Romania can buy locally what is needed. https://www.childrenontheedge.org/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_478oLi39gIVlGDmCh0YUAVdEAAYASAAEgKvufD_BwE
• Disaster Emergency Committee - an umbrella group of UK charities which coordinates and launches collective appeals to raise funds to provide emergency aid and rapid relief to people caught up in disasters and humanitarian crises around the world.
Member Charities: ActionAid, Action Against Hunger, British Red Cross, Catholic Agency for Overseas Development (CAFOD), CARE International, Christian Aid, Concern, Age UK, International Rescue Committee, Islamic Relief, Oxfam, Plan UK, Save the Children, Tearfund, World Vision
• The Ukrainian Institute – London information on how to help